Saturday, September 6, 2014

Spirited Away: Friends Across the Seas

This really is a beautiful movie. I know it took the animators a long time and many all-nighters to complete the work that went into it. The first time I saw this movie I had trouble connecting with it. The differences between Japanese and American story-telling made it hard for me to really appreciate it. I think it takes time to get used to and if you sit back and really look at it, it is a great movie.

I love this background!


One of the things I really did appreciate about this film, even though I didn’t understand it at the time, was the difference in the story-telling. I had never seen a story like this told on the screen, and even more complicatedly, animated. It wasn’t the typical “circle of life” story, and yet it was. We get to see Chihiro change from a whiny little girl into someone who can defend herself and others. I appreciate how Hayao Miyazaki tends to make most of his main characters heroines and they are often people who he has seen develop in his life. Being a girl this makes it easier for me to relate to. Even though there may be some cultural and artistic differences, I can totally relate to how this little girl feels.




Being thrown into this world of culture can be strange at first, but just give it some time; maybe it will grow on you too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment