Monday, December 8, 2014

Is the Wind still Rising?

One of the things that interested me about The Wind Rises was that it was a mix of fact and fiction, telling the story of Jiro Horikoshi as he went along a journey to creating the fighter plane used by Japan in the second world war, but also mixing in a story about finding love when Jiro meets Naoko. The story of the movie kept me entranced the whole time, and there wasn't a time where I was less interested or distracted from the film. Then there was Jiro's mentor from his dreams, Mr. Caproni. Caproni always served as a compass for Jiro and kept him on track, almost like a conscience. Jiro's character never struggled with any of the common virtues that one would see in a movie, but still provided a greatly deep and fulfilling protagonist who always tried to do the right thing. I think Miyazaki did a good job of telling a story of a man who did great things without painting him as a villain or hero in the war, just letting his life play out.
Besides the great plot, the film was visually beautiful, all of the animation was great to watch play across the screen and the colors were so rich and vibrant, it looked like I was watching a visual farmer's market. I mean, just look at these pictures! It was so magnificent to watch Jiro go from that little boy in the plane to the man standing next to Caproni, as an equal. The Wind Rises is definitely one of the best Miyazaki films I've seen, maybe even my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment