Monday, December 8, 2014

Willy Wonka


When I was growing up, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was one of my favorite films. I don't really quite understand why, but it was. I watched it over and over and over again. Seeing it this semester brought back many nostalgic feelings for me. 
One of my favorite scenes in the film is the first time you see Willy Wonka. He comes out of the factory, limping. He then falls but tumbles out of it, smiling. What a great magic trick. He fooled everyone! The first thing he does sets up how he acts for the remainder of the film. As we soon find out, the whole golden ticket thing is a ploy to find someone to take over his factory. His greatest magic trick. 
I connected with the innocence of Charlie and I loved the relationship he had with his grandpa. It felt honest and loving. 
There were some differences from the book and the film, but I think the movie does a good job at capturing the spirit of the book. Most people think that just because a movie isn't exactly the same as a book that it's bad. Most of the time, a director is just trying to capture the spirit of what makes the book good and doesn't get caught up in the actual story because you could never tell a 500 paged story well in two hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment